You might have noticed that you’re still feeling the economic crunch even with all the hard work that you do and all the savings you’ve set aside. But maybe that’s not enough. You probably need to take some extra measures so you can stay afloat these days. Recession-proof your life by trying the following tips on for size.
1. Most of you probably couldn’t get through the day without your caffeine fix. But you don’t have to get your cup of Joe in a fancy coffee shop; you can just bring 3-in-1 coffee sachets to the office. Or if you really, really need to get coffee from Starbucks, get a short order instead of a venti.
2. Having lunch out everyday can burn a hole in your pocket. Why don’t you prepare a packed lunch instead? Aside from being able to save, you’ll know what goes into your food as well. Now you won’t have any excuse for feeling sleepy from all the Chinese food you ate. Just treat yourself to a lunch out maybe once a week so you won’t feel deprived.
3. Bringing a car to work can get pretty expensive. You have to pay for your gas, parking fees, and sometimes even toll fees. Instead of driving to work everyday, try to hitch a ride with a neighbor-slash-coworker. Or maybe use your parents’ car from time to time.
4. If renting out your own place is becoming too costly for you, consider getting a roommate so you can share the expenses for the meantime. You’d get some girl bonding time on the side, too.
5. Following fashion trends could be somewhat pricey. But instead of buying all those branded items, you could rummage through vintage shops (a.k.a. ukay-ukay) and look for stylish bargains. Just don’t tell your officemates where you shop. It will be your little secret.
6. Newspapers and magazines do feed your mind but could add to your expenses as well. Instead of regularly buying these reading materials, just visit their websites and you’ll see the same content at no extra cost.
7. Be on the lookout for deals and steals. You could get more bang for your buck if you take advantage of promos in shops or restaurants. Keep your eyes open for such deals.
8. Turn your trash into cash. If you have old clothes and other things you want to dispose, you could organize a rummage sale and earn a little money on the side. For other disposables such as papers, bottles, plastics, and old appliances, you could bring these to the recycle fairs in SM and Ayala Malls. Being green wouldn’t only help the environment but also help you earn money as well.
9. Go for the natural look. Don’t waste your hard-earned cash to buy all that gunk you put on your face. You don’t need a lot of makeup to look good; less is more.
10. Work could get pretty stressful so sometimes you just need to unwind and relax. Invite your coworkers or your sweetie to go out while there’s a happy hour at the nearby bar or restaurant. You’ll have a great time at a fraction of the price!
(Image was taken from this site.)